About Me

My photo
Stockport, United Kingdom
Spud is obsessed with all things wheeled, both with an without engine's. 2006 Open class uk champion at Boardercross racing mountain boards, his knee's have since given up and he spends more time on his bikes both with and without engines.

Saturday, 30 November 2013


Had a week off work this week and have spent a good bit of time on the project.

Some forwards progress and some backwards.

Now my carb is clean I thought I'd get on with Daves Carb Mod, found a great place just down the road in Manchester to get the new float bowl seal and new jets NRP motorcycle carburettor repair specialist proper nice lads too, very helpful, the website is a bit limited but give em a call if you need anything, I'm sure they'll be able to help.

So I was getting on with fitting the new bits and I went and dropped the bloody slide, and as surely as toast lands butter side down, it dropped right onto the needle an bent the end over 90 degree's, ARSE.

So a phone call to nrp, and they can supply me with a new one but its likely to be in the region of £30 + vat, now i feel like a propper ham fisted dim wit, fortunately they are going to be doing a carb kit for the Dominator which includes a new needle and the kit will be cheaper than the price of a needle, but I'll have to wait until they get the kits in mid Jan. As the bike has no rear sub frame or forks, I figured I can wait 6 weeks.

Tank mount sorted and happy with, this is attempt number 2, you probably wouldn't believe the number of hours I've spent just sorting this little bit, I know I can't. There's a piece for this toungue to slot into on top of the top tube. I'm going to stick rubber top and bottom to get a nice tight fit (oh er) and help stop rattles from the vibey single.

Name:  20131015_202653[1].jpg
Views: 63
Size:  185.9 KB

Finally got round to doing the fork seals, and while I was at it I thought I'd have a go at lowering the forks, chopped 2 inch off the springs and added a spacer as per the instructions I was following from the xs650 forum.

Name:  20131126_164610[1].jpg
Views: 17
Size:  189.8 KBName:  20131126_183505[1].jpg
Views: 17
Size:  193.8 KBName:  20131126_191314[1].jpgViews: 17Size:  197.8 KB

And today I made a start on the new subframe, big learning curve here, never done any tube bending before. The pics are of attempt number2. The first one was just figuring out the tube bender and seeing how easy or not the tube would bend. I tacked a bung in each end and filled the tube with kiln dried sand in an attempt to stop the tube deforming or rippling while being bent. On the whole it went ok, with the tube just flattening out a little in some spots where it was in contact with the bender I was using. I'm not 100% happy with it just yet it still needs some tweaking, and I may even go for attempt 3 but I'm going to start running out of tube and this is just the back end, there's the 2 seat rails to bend up yet, plus the supports. Hoping I might get on to them tomorrow perhaps.

Rear sub frame

Name:  20131129_182549[1].jpg
Views: 16
Size:  189.6 KB

1 comment:

  1. Lookin' good!
    It's all the little bits that no-one sees that take all the time (and several attempts to get right)!